Former Vice President Cheney said Tuesday that it appears that the Obama administration was attempting a cover-up in the aftermath of violent protests at the U.S. Consulate in Libya that left four Americans dead, including the ambassador.

“It looks to me like its gonna get messier and messier, and in fact, it looks like the administration’s been involved in a cover-up, claiming that it was all caused by this YouTube video when in fact, it was clearly the result of the developments with respect to al Qaeda and terrorism in North Africa,” Cheney told Sean Hannity on his radio program.

Republicans have amplified criticism of the Obama administration in recent days, after the White House conceded that the violence was likely a planned terrorist attack and not in response to an anti-Islam video, as it had previously said. On Tuesday, House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) asked Secretary of State Hillary Clint to address whistleblower reports of previously undisclosed threats and attacks against the consulate and Ambassador Christopher Stevens.