More than 3,000 young illegal immigrants are applying daily to take part in the administration’s new deportation reprieve policy, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said last week.

Napolitano said a total of roughly 200,000 people have applied since the agency began accepting applications two months ago.

She made the announcement Wednesday to a panel of educators from across the country who serve on the Homeland Security Academic Advisory Council, as reported by The Hill newspaper.

The agency began accepting applications after President Obama in June made the policy change — after failing to pass comprehensive immigration reform and during an election year in which he will again need the Latino vote to help him win.

The group accounts for more than half of the U.S. population.